September 6, 2023
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
As an intern, this person will learn first-hand what careers in community banking involve and will engage in a rotation through core departments including Retail Banking and Consumer, Business, Ag, and Mortgage Lending.
Throughout the rotation, this person will gain insight into a variety of business units including Wealth Management as well as experience what happens “behind the scenes” in Credit Review and Operations.
This person should have a minimum of one year of business-related classes in a higher learning setting or the equivalent. Excellent communication and customer service skills are essential.
This role requires employment to be on-site.
1. Work closely with industry experts to identify and differentiate various banking products and services.
2. Observe and participate in the customer experience including identifying needs, recommending products that fit, and maintaining customer relationships.
3. Learn the foundations of banking by participating in general Retail functions including processing customer transactions, cash handling, and cash drawer balancing.
4. Shadow the lending process from start to finish and develop overall loan file knowledge.
- Observe meetings with loan customers
- List and describe various loan types and products
- Compile and prepare proper underwriting information
- Introduction to credit worthiness and cash flow by analyzing credit information and referring to policy & guidelines
- View loan processing, servicing and closing
- Witness Departmental collaboration
5. Introduction to Wealth Management Services including financial planning, trusts, retirement plan services, investment management and estate planning & administration.
6. Utilize banking systems and observe how they integrate into business processes.
7. Develop and apply a working knowledge of banking regulations and processes.
8. Maintain confidentiality, integrity and honesty, especially in dealing with customer information.
9. Gain skills related to professionalism, financial analysis, decision-making, customer service and communication.
10. Uphold professional standards when working with customers through various channels.
11. Attend and participate in committee and department meetings and professional development opportunities and trainings.
12. Connect with and learn from department leaders and management.
13. Prepare a presentation at the close of the internship to be presented to key stakeholders.
14. Act in accordance with FBT policies and procedures as set for in the employee handbook.
15. Adhere to compliance procedures and participate in required compliance.
First Bank & Trust is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Read our complete Equal Employment Opportunity Policy Statement. Applicants who would like to request reasonable accommodation to the application or interview process should call Human Resources at 800.843.1552 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.