How to Protect Your Debit & Credit Cards
At First Bank & Trust, we proactively monitor your cards to screen for fraudulent activity. For added peace of mind there are some practical steps you, as the cardholder, can take to help protect card information:
- Know where your cards are and keep them secure at all times.
- Set up alerts on your cards with Visa Purchase Alerts from First Bank & Trust. Sign up today at Visa.com.
- Keep your Personal Identification Number (PIN) a secret.
- Don’t use any part of your address, birth date, phone number, or social security number.
- Memorize your PIN; never write it down, especially on the card.
- Be aware of your surroundings when entering your PIN at an Automated Teller Machine (ATM).
- Use your card only at reputable online merchants.
- Do not provide your debit card number, full account number, or SSN to anyone who initiates contact with you to request that information. If in doubt, contact the company directly at their publicly listed phone number.
- Report lost or stolen cards immediately.
- Cancel all inactive card accounts. Even when not being used, credit card accounts appear on your credit report, which is accessible to thieves. If you have requested a new debit or credit card and have not received the card in a timely manner, immediately notify First Bank & Trust.
- Closely monitor the expiration dates on your cards. Contact First Bank & Trust if the replacement card is not received prior to your card’s expiration date.
- Sign all new cards upon receipt.
- Review your credit reports annually.
- Consumers are entitled to one free copy of their credit report every year at www.annualcreditreport.com.
If you notice an unauthorized transaction on your debit card, call us immediately at 1-800-843-1552.
If you notice an unauthorized transaction on your credit card, call 1-800-442-4757 immediately.