Chip Card Technology
Big Protection in a Tiny Chip
Enhanced Fraud Protection. When you use your card at any chip-activated terminal, the embedded chip generates a one-time use code. This code is virtually impossible to counterfeit and helps reduce in-store fraud.
Global Acceptance. More merchants are accepting chip transactions every day. Whether you check out using chip technology or swipe your card, you can pay with confidence whenever Visa® cards are accepted.
Easy To Use. Simply swipe your card like you do today. However, if a chip-activated terminal is available, insert your card instead and follow the prompts. See detailed steps below.
4 Easy Steps to Pay
If a chip-activated terminal is available, you will follow these steps:
- Insert your card into the terminal facing up and chip end first.
- Follow the on-screen prompts.
- To help ensure only an authorized user has your card, you may be required to enter a PIN or sign the receipt.
- Remove your card when prompted.
What Do I Need to Do?
You do not need to take any action. When your current credit card expires, a new chip card will be sent to you.
- What is a chip card?
A chip card is a regular plastic credit or debit card with an embedded microchip that provides an extra layer of protection when used in stores with a chip-activated reader.
- How does chip technology protect my information?
Whenever you use your card at a chip-activated terminal, the embedded chip generates a one-time use code. This code is virtually impossible to counterfeit and helps reduce in-store fraud.
- Where can I use my chip card?
- Chip-activated terminals – Visa chip cards offer the greatest security when inserted into a chip-activated terminal.
- Terminals that are not chip-activated – Since there is a magnetic stripe on the back of your card, you can simply swipe it.
- Online – Just like before, enter your card number or, if the card is already on file with that merchant, select your card during the checkout process.
- ATMs – Visa chip cards are still accepted at the ATMs you have been using.
Visa chip cards work everywhere Visa is accepted including:
- Can I swipe my card to pay?
Yes. If a merchant is not yet chip-activated, you can continue to swipe your card. Keep in mind, you may need to sign for your purchase.